PM Imran gives roadmap for enhanced SCO cooperation, connectivity
BISHKEK – Prime Minister Imran Khan has urged the member states of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to finalise arrangements for trade in local currencies, and set up SCO Fund and SCO Development Bank to catalyse the trans-regional development agenda, the Radio Pakistan reported.
The PM said "we should reinforce our vision of cooperation, that rejects confrontation, and advance the imperatives of peaceful co-existence at the regional and international levels".
He said the SCO member states should galvanise the "Shanghai Spirit" to strengthen the organization's core mandate of mitigating the risks of conflict, fostering confidence, and promoting stability.
Imran Khan emphasised on making SCO more relevant to the daily lives of citizens by promoting food security and enhancing cooperation in health and humanitarian sectors.
He said SCO should take the lead role in establishing a comprehensive framework for combating corruption and white collar crime.
Khan said SCO should prioritise women and youth empowerment by focusing inter-alia on strengthening the Women Forum and the Youth Council and mandating them to promote gender mainstreaming, skills acquisition and jobs mobility.
He insisted on bridging the gap between region-specific research and policy by launching feasibilities for creating SCO Centres of Excellence on Poverty Alleviation, De-Radicalization, Connectivity , and New Technologies.
SCO summit: PM Imran, President Xi exchange views ... 11:25 AM | 14 Jun, 2019
BISHKEK - Prime Minister Imran Khan held a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the ongoing ...
The Pakistani premier said South Asia continues to be challenged by common enemies: poverty, illiteracy, disease and under-development.
He said political differences and unresolved disputes further compound the predicament.
Imran Khan asserted that enduring peace and prosperity in South Asia will remain elusive until the main dynamic in South Asia is shifted from confrontation to cooperation.
"It is important to seize the opportunities for peaceful resolution of outstanding disputes and collective endeavours for regional prosperity," he stated.
"We (Pakistan) are among the few countries to have successfully turned the tide against terrorism .
Referring to the Afghan issue, PM Imran said there is finally a realization that the conflict in Afghanistan has no military solution.
He said Pakistan is fully supporting efforts for peace and reconciliation, through an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned process.
"We deem this to be part of a shared responsibility and, therefore, appreciate the positive contributions being made by China, Russia and Afghanistan's immediate neighbours," he shared and added that SCO 's support for post-conflict Afghanistan will remain crucial.
PM Imran, Vladimir Putin meet informally on ... 10:54 PM | 13 Jun, 2019
BISHKEK - Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan held an informal meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on ...
Expressing concern over evolving situation in the Gulf and Middle East, the PM said: "We join the SCO members in urging the parties to exercise restraint, take steps to de-escalate the situation, and find solutions through diplomatic means.
"We believe implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action by all parties is essential for international and regional stability."
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- LNG for Pakistan: Islamabad to host int'l conference on 31st05:01 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019