IHC tasks Parliament to settle ECP members' appointment issue
A single-member bench headed by IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah heard a set of petitions filed against the order of the federal government to appoint Sindh and Balochistan members of the election body.
Earlier this year, the parliamentary affairs ministry had notified the appointment of Khalid Mehmood Siddiqui and Munir Ahmed Kakar as ECP members following an approval by President Arif Alvi.
However, Chief Election Commissioner Sardar Raza Khan refused to administer oath from the two new members, saying they were not appointed in accordance with Articles 213 and 214 of the constitution.
After the conflict erupted, the high court admitted a petition filed by Barrister Jahangir Khan Jadoon against the government’s decision.
During the hearing, Justice Minallah said that the parliament should break the deadlock to make the ECP functional. He commented that the election body is almost non-functional due to this issue.
“Do you want the commission to become fully ineffective because the matter is also pending before the top court?” the Express Tribune quoted the judge as saying. He also asked why the federal government was not ending the deadlock.
Justice Minallah further wondered if the Parliament was incapable of resolving the matter, adding, “We believe it can undertake the task to decide on the matter.”
The high court directed National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser and Senate Chairman Sadiq Sanjrani to make headway on the matter.
Rejecting government’s request to adjourn the hearing, the judge said that the NA speaker and Senate chairman should play their role to prevent ECP from becoming ineffective.
- Pakistan administers over 1 million COVID vaccines in a day12:48 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Sindh govt to bear medical expenses of Liaquat Ali Khan’s ailing son11:58 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat faces police complaint over lashing out at traffic cop ...10:55 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Turkey imposes 10-day mandatory quarantine for travellers from ...10:14 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Falak takes Sarah on shopping spree (VIDEO)09:00 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021