UFO or meteorite? Huge blast and flash of light in the sky spreads fear and panic in Gilgit Baltistan
The blast was so severe that some of the citizens took to social media platforms and feared any plane crash or bomb blast in the purview of a recent string of attacks.
A resident, Zafar Iqbal said: 'Hit somewhere in shilpi Ghizer but no casualities [sic]'
Another local, Arbab Musaweer Alam Khan stated that he was on a motorcycle when he saw red and yellowish stars and "something else" moving fast in the sky which then disappeared.
"This was much nearer to the earth which set the entire city alight," he said.
People from Haripur and Islamabad also reported seeing a bright object flying fast across the sky towards the north.
The Information Department of Gilgit-Baltistan has now confirmed that the explosion and flashes were caused by a huge meteor crossing the sky over the Ghizer and Gilgit District.
There are unconfirmed reports that the meteorite may have fallen in a remote area somewhere between the Yasin and Gupis Tehsils of Ghizer District. This has yet to be confirmed though.
- Ashraf Ghani declared winner of Afghan presidential poll10:33 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan reiterates demand for justice for victims of Samjhauta ...09:29 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- At Kartarpur, UNSG lauds Pakistan’s efforts for peace, interfaith ...08:20 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Nationwide polio immunization drive continues to vaccinate 39 million ...05:20 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Mahira Khan and Fahad Mustafa finish shooting for Quaid-e-Azam ...10:58 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- FIR lodged against Solis Festival, company blacklisted: DC Islamabad10:56 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019