Backing army, PM Nawaz refuses to meet Zardari
"At a time when our armed forces are engaged in war against terrorism, it is highly inappropriate for Mr Zardari's to issue such statements," Nawaz Sharif said in a statement issued by Prime Minister House on Wednesday.
Defending the armed forces, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said criticism of the armed forces encourages destabilising factors in the country.
He further said that that the operation against terrorism is in its critical stages, adding that national unity was the need of hour.
Holding a consultative meeting at the PM House to discuss Zardari’s statements, the PM said, “Criticism against the armed forces is unacceptable.”
The premiere also refused to meet former President Asif Zardari in a pre-scheduled meeting today (Wednesday) at Zardari House Islamabad, PPP's spokesperson Farahatullah Babar confirmed.
Clarifying earlier reports that Zardari had invited the premier for lunch, Senator Farhatullah said, “Zardari and Nawaz will not meet today.”
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali has already slammed Zardari's statements, calling them ‘inappropriate and insulting’.
“He (Zardari) has tried to cover up his party’s shortcomings and weaknesses by targeting a national institution,” Nisar said in a statement hours after Zardari’s angry tirade.
Nisar said the PPP leader’s criticism of the security establishment was ‘uncalled for’ and it came at a time when army soldiers were sacrificing their lives for the country’s survival. “This style of politics is dangerous as well as condemnable,” he added.
Read more: Nisar rebukes Zardari for attack on army
Earlier on Tuesday, Zardari had said that politicians were better suited to running the affairs of the country. “You are here for only three years,” he said in an apparent jab at the army chief.
Addressing an oath-taking ceremony for PPP office-bearers from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Zardari said, “I know the art of war better than anyone else.”
“Stop victimizing us or we will tear you down brick by brick. We do not want to undermine your establishment. You are already entangled in extremist terrorism, Balochistan insurgency, and Indian threats. So be cautioned... You have been warned, you have been warned, you have been warned,” Zardari said blasting away the army last evening.
Read more: Angry Zardari blasts Army
Throwing down the gauntlet, the PPP co-chairperson threatened the country's war machine with dire consequences like ‘exposing’ the corruption of former generals.
Zardari said the military generals' tenures were no longer than a few years but political parties like the PPP “would last forever”.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:56 AM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 06 July 202208:43 AM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Mahira Khan, Fahad Mustafa dance their hearts out as they promote ...12:21 AM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Defiant Pakistani journalist Imran Riaz Khan arrested (VIDEO)11:29 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Most-followed TikToker is a practicing Muslim and ‘Hafiz-e-Quran’09:40 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Ahmed Ali Butt’s new video with Mahira Khan and Fahad Mustafa wins ...07:10 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022