Some stranded Pakistanis in Kuwait to fly tonight; rest on Sunday: FO
Due to heavy rains, the Gulf country declared an emergency for three days and its airport suspended operations for few hours on Thursday. At least 70 Pakistani passengers transiting through Kuwait were stranded due to cancellation of Kuwait airlines flights to Lahore.
On receipt of information, an embassy team was sent to the Airport to get in touch with Pakistanis and provide immediate assistance, Mohammad Faisal said on Twitter.
As a result some passengers were issued boarding passes for the flight leaving for Lahore tonight. Remaining would be accommodated tomorrow, inshaallah (3/3)— Dr Mohammad Faisal (@DrMFaisal) November 17, 2018
The heavy rainfall and flash flooding also forced the small Gulf country to suspend road, sea and air traffic and shutter schools and government ministries.
Videos posted by people in the area show flooded roads and vehicles being swept away by strong water currents.
The cabinet suspended work in all government offices and schools and the state-owned Kuwait Petroleum Corporation (KPC) gave its non-essential employees a day off on Wednesday, Reuters reported. Kuwaiti Public Works Minister Hussam Al-Roumi resigned on Friday due to the damage caused to public property.
Operations were also suspended at the country's biggest seaports amid “heavy rains and low visibility”, according to the state-run Kuwait News Agency (KUNA).
During those storms, almost 30 milimetres (1.2 inches) of water fell in a 24-hour period, the Khaleej Times reported.
With its typically dry and arid climate, Kuwait doesn't have the infrastructure to adequately handle heavy rainfall.
It's one of many countries in the Middle East struggling to respond to unexpected weather events.
Other countries have also recently been affected by heavy rains and flooding, including Tunisia, Qatar, and Jordan.
- China establishes world's largest 5G mobile network09:38 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- How many Pakistanis are expected to perform Hajj this year, reveals ...08:55 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Jamshed Iqbal Cheema appointed SAPM on food security07:48 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- In first step to control price hike, new Pakistani finance minister ...07:35 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Justin Bieber all set for a cameo in Friends: The Reunion Special05:31 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021