Oil prices drift lower in Asian trade
SINGAPORE (APP) - Oil prices drifted lower Friday in rangebound trading as dealers looked for fresh direction after the US central bank signalled it would keep its record-low benchmark interest rates on hold.
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) for July delivery fell 10 cents to $60.35 in Asian trade, while Brent crude for August eased 11 cents to $64.15 late-morning deals.
"Prices continue on its sideways trend without much change to fundamentals," said Daniel Ang, investment analyst at Phillip Futures in Singapore.
"Prices are showing heavy reluctance to deviate from $60 for WTI and $64 for Brent and this should continue into next week," Ang said.
Oil prices rose modestly Thursday as dealers reacted to the US Federal Reserve's decision the previous day to leave its key interest rate unchanged.
The world's most powerful central bank said it would adopt a cautious and methodical approach to raising them later in the year.
Interest rate adjustments are closely watched by crude investors as an increase usually leads to a pick-up in the greenback, which makes dollar-priced oil more expensive for buyers using weaker currencies and so dents demand.
- 'Dollars will rain on the ground from a helicopter...' Pakistani ...11:48 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Senate resolution condemns misleading Google, Wikipedia search ...11:21 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Senate passes resolution against circulation of fake currency notes ...11:09 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Winter Sports Festival concludes in Naltar; GB Scouts and PAF ...10:53 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- COAS Bajwa, ISI chief call on PM Imran in Islamabad10:35 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Pehli Si Muhabbat crosses 2.2 million views in just one day after ...07:28 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- #Cannoli – Islamabad café rebrands its logo after facing severe ...07:14 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Bollywood pours in best wishes for Mrs. and Mr. Varun Dhawan06:50 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021