Key suspect in Rs3 billion online currency fraud case arrested
The suspect, Ghulam Sarwar, was nabbed from Gulshan-i-Iqbal hours before he was set to leave the country for Saudi Arabia today’s evening.
Sarwar, according to the FIA officials, has committed ‘online electronic currency fraud’ amounting to Rs3 billion by looting around 17,000 people in the country.
The accused and other accomplices ran a fake website called ‘Channel Times’ showing an address of Italy. They urged people to invest money online and offered lucrative returns.
FIA’s Additional Director Cybercrime Circle Mohammed Younis explained that Sarwar and his partners had opened several binary accounts for the collection of money from people, with a promise that the customers would be provided a handsome profit at the rate of 1.5 per cent in US dollars in electronic currency (E-currency) on a daily basis, Dawn News reported.
During the investigation, it emerged that the suspects were also involved in the buying and selling of illegal digital currencies including Perfect Money, One Life and One Coin.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...07:37 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 26 September 202207:24 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: Pakistan beat England by 3 runs in 4th T20I11:02 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- 'Are we sick?' asks Ali Zafar in note on moral standards of society09:16 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Dananeer fangirls over Yami Gautum at Chicago South Asian Film ...06:40 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022