Govt decides to appoint Barrister Khalid Javed as new Attorney General
ISLAMABAD - The government has decided to appoint barrister Khalid Javed Khan as new Attorney General of Pakistan.
In a tweet, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information and Broadcasting, Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan on Friday announced this and said that supremacy of the Constitution and law is the top priority of PM Imran Khan.
حکومت نے خالد جاوید خان کو نیا اٹارنی جنرل مقرر کرنے کا فیصلہ کیا ہے۔آئین کی سربلندی اور قانون کی حکمرانی وزیراعظم عمران خان کی اولین ترجیح ہے۔تمام آئینی اداروں کا احترام کرتے ہیں،ان کی عزت و توقیر ہمارے لئے انتہائی مقدم ہے۔— Dr. Firdous Ashiq Awan (@Dr_FirdousPTI) February 20, 2020
The special assistant added that the government respects all the constitutional institutions.
The decision was taken after Anwar Mansoor Khan resigned as AGP on the demand of Pakistan Bar Council.
Anwar Mansoor Khan had forwarded his resignation to President Dr Arif Alvi which states, “I note with profound regret that the Pakistan Bar Council, of which I am the Chairman, has demanded through its Press Release dated 19th of February 2020 that I resign forthwith from the Office of the Attorney-General for Pakistan.
Khan, in his resignation to President Arif Alvi, said the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) had asked for his resignation.
"I stand with my brothers and colleagues at the Bar and I wish to reaffirm my faith in the highest principles of integrity and professional excellence that the Pakistan Bar Council has always stood for,” the letter read.
He added, “I hereby resign from the position of the Attorney-General for Pakistan and request you to accept it with immediate effect. In the last year and a half, I worked to the best of my ability to serve this solemn office with the honesty of purpose, and commitment to upholding the constitution."
The Supreme Court on Wednesday had directed Khan to produce evidence supporting his statement or submit a written apology about his controversial statement regarding Supreme Court judges, for which he had been reprimanded by the court as well.
AG Khan had levelled allegations against the bench which irked the full court asking him to withdraw his statement.
- PAF C-130 aircraft carrying Zaireen from Dalbandin lands at Skardu ...01:36 PM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Govt trying to maintain balance between lockdown to prevent spread of ...12:15 PM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Lahore police sealed all the entry and exit points of the city11:42 AM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Zahid Ahmed apologises to the nation for choosing a script ‘so ...05:02 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- American pianist Ellis Marsalis dead at 85, fought coronavirus04:41 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Here's what PM Imran Khan has to say regarding Maria.B controversy04:31 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 Google searches in Pakistan for 201906:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019