Saudi Arabia's 'reformer' King Abdullah dies
King Salman has called on the family's Allegiance Council to pay allegiance to Muqrin as his crown prince and heir.
King Abdullah ascended the throne on Aug. 1, 2005, following the death of King Fahd. During his reign, King Abdullah has been responsible for significant social, economic, cultural and political reforms. This includes empowering women politically, granting foreign scholarships to thousands of students, building economic cities and constructing specialized hospitals.
King Abdullah was hospitalised in December suffering from pneumonia.
He died on Friday "at 1:00 am (2200 GMT)" and would be buried later in the day following afternoon prayers, said the statement. Salman had been representing the king at most recent public events because of the monarch's poor health. King Salman, 79, was named crown prince in June 2012 following the death of Prince Naif.
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- US forces leave key Afghanistan military base05:22 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone TAUKTAE 'will not make landfall on Pakistan's coastal belt'04:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021