Massive blow to Israel as UN adopts historic revolution seeking end to its settlements in Palestine
The surprising aspect of the proceedings was the fact that the Obama administration had intentionally refrained from vetoing the resolution signalling shift in ties with its long-standing ally.
The resolution says Israel’s settlements on Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, have 'no legal validity' and demands a halt to 'all Israeli settlement activities,' saying this 'is essential for salvaging the two-state solution'.
The resolution reiterated that Israeli settlement was a 'flagrant violation' of international law.
The resolution was put forward at the 15-member council for a vote on Friday by New Zealand, Malaysia, Venezuela and Senegal. Israel and Trump had called on the United States to veto the measure but the Obama administration shrugged off the suggestion.
All remaining members of the security council, including the UK, voted in support. Egypt, which had drafted the resolution and had been briefly persuaded by Israel to postpone the vote, also backed the move.
A resolution requires nine votes in favour and no vetoes by the countries including United States, France, Russia, Britain or China in order to be adopted.
After the resolution was passed, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat expressed his satisfaction and declared it a victory for international law.
'This is a day of victory for international law, a victory for civilised language and negotiation and a total rejection of extremist forces in Israel," he said.
'The international community has told the people of Israel that the way to security and peace is not going to be done through occupation but rather through peace, ending the occupation and establishing a Palestinian state to live side by side with the state of Israel on the 1967 line,' Erekat added.
On the other hand, Israel was left fuming after the resolution as it was expecting US to bolster its position over the issue.
The statement also suggested that Obama administration not only failed to protect Israel against the gang-up at the council but it colluded with it under the wraps.
"Israel looks forward to working with President-elect (Donald) Trump and with all our friends in Congress, Republicans and Democrats alike, to negate the harmful effects of this absurd resolution," the statement concluded.
As many as 430,000 Israeli settlers currently reside in the West Bank and a further 200,000 Israelis live in East Jerusalem, which the Palestinians see as the capital of their future state.
- NADRA DG sacked from post05:30 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- OPPO – Zoom into imagination now with a better price at the right ...05:13 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 240,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,983 confirmed ...04:23 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Madar-e-Millat Fatima Jinnah remembered on death anniversary03:51 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Asim Azhar's 'Jo Tu Na Mila' is a copy of Studio Ghibli production's ...02:04 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Veteran Bollywood actor Jagdeep dies at 8101:31 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Beyonce is an Italian, not African-American, US politician claims01:24 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020