SC reserves verdict in prime minister's kissan relief package case
The division bench of the apex court comprising Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan and Justice Qazi Faez Isa heard the federal government's plea against the Peshawar High Court's Dec 8, 2015 order.
Agritech Limited, which manufactures fertilizer from local rock, had challenged the package in the PHC, terming it discriminatory. The PHC in its verdict had declared that there should not be any discrimination in distribution of subsidy to fertilizer producers.
During the course of proceedings, the top court expressed resentment over the absence of law regarding subsidies.
Justice Qazi Faiz Essa remarked that the government should stop presenting the budget if it is releasing billions of rupees through administrative orders.
He stated that people want to see positive utilization of their taxes. The subsidy should have been awarded to the best fertilizer company after testing samples of all the factories, he said.
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-May-09-Updated 10:00 ...09:32 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Pakistan registers 3,785 new Covid-19 cases, 118 deaths in 24 hours09:12 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 09 May 202108:59 AM | 9 May, 2021
- A successful story of young Emirati chef - Ahmed Darweesh01:16 AM | 9 May, 2021
- PM Imran and Pakistani delegation pay respects at Masjid-e-Nabwi12:00 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Javeria Abbasi recalls how she broke 12 bones in an accident (VIDEO)05:03 PM | 8 May, 2021
- Here's what Hina Altaf said about Aagha Ali before marriage (VIDEO)05:41 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021