SC directs defence ministry to submit report about dual nationality of military men
A three-judge Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, that had taken up suo motu notice of the dual nationality of civil servants and judges, also recalled on Tuesday that under the prevalent laws, dual nationality was not a crime.
The top court, however, remarked that certain offices should not be occupied by individuals enjoying foreign nationality.
"If parliamentarians could be disqualified for having dual nationality then the same rule should also apply to the officers working in sensitive departments," the Chief Justice cautioned.
During the hearing, Chairman of the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra), Usman Yousuf Mobeen told the court that according to the data provided by the federal and the provincial governments, 1,116 officers out of a total of 228,769 government officials were dual nationals whereas the spouses of 1,249 government servants enjoyed the same privilege.
Meanwhile, senior counsel Shahid Hamid appeared as an amicus curiae (friend of the court) and presented a set of proposals, highlighting that a few years ago the information ministry had issued a notification suggesting that no foreigners could work in government departments like the communication, water and power, petroleum and defence.
- Pakistan's Business Confidence Index drops by 21pc in six months of ...10:38 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- PM Shehbaz hands over keys of new houses among flood affectees10:16 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Sri Lankan player loses teeth while taking catch in LPL match (VIDEO)10:01 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- ECP reinstates Faisal Vawda as senator after Supreme Court ruling09:40 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Celebrities support Saba Faisal amidst family feud09:22 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Shoaib Malik refuses to comment on divorce rumours08:00 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Faryal Mehmood to star in film inspired by Qandeel Baloch08:46 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list? ...10:48 AM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Top 10 most searched people on Google in Pakistan in 202206:07 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan's first female Supreme Court judge earns place in BBC '100 ...01:24 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022