Nawaz Sharif moves Supreme Court against rejection of bail plea
ISLAMABAD - Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif filed a petition in the Supreme Court on Friday against the rejection of a bail plea by the Islamabad High Court.
An Islamabad High Court bench comprising Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani had dismissed Sharif's bail plea on February 25 in Al-Azizia reference.
The elder Sharif had moved Islamabad High Court to seek relief on medical grounds, however, the court turned down his plea noting that the medical report does not show that his (Nawaz Sharif) life was in danger.
"In Nawaz Sharif’s case unusual circumstances could not be proved and in the light of the Supreme Court’s recent verdicts, the court could not grant him release on bail," the judges noted in a 9-page verdict.
Nawaz Sharif has medical treatment facilities available to him. He does not qualify to be released on medical grounds, it added.
Nawaz Sharif was awarded seven-year jail sentence in the Al-Azizia reference filed by the accountability court in Islamabad on a reference filed by the National Accountability Bureau in light of the Panama Papers case verdict.
After deliberation over the judgment of the Islamabad High Court, the counsel for supreme leader of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz, Khawaja Haris filed a petition in the apex court seeking that the IHC decision be declared null and void.
- Govt will ensure Pakistan fulfills its enormous maritime potential, ...01:22 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020