Lt-Colonel among 17 dead as four rail wagons fall into canal in Gujranwala
According to ISPR, Lieutenant colonel Amir, his wife and two children were also killed in the accident. The other army officers killed in the accident included Colonel Rashid, Captain Adil and Lieutenant Kashif.
Update:Initial investigation,Railway Bridge collapsed.shaheed confirmed 12 including Comd of unit,Lt.col Amir.8 bodies found.Rescue contnues
— AsimBajwaISPR (@AsimBajwaISPR) July 2, 2015
The ISPR added that army personnel were travelling in four bogies of the unfortunate train and more causalities are expected. The relief activities are underway, the ISPR statement said.
4 bogies of special train carrying mil troops to Kharian fell over bridge near Jamke Chattha in Canal. Rescue underway.Casualties expected — AsimBajwaISPR (@AsimBajwaISPR) July 2, 2015
About 85 people were also injured and they were rushed to different hospitals in nearby cities.
Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique has ordered an inquiry into the incident. Khawaja said that six people were still missing and operation is underway to rescue them.
He said hand of miscreants behind the incident can not be ruled out. Water supply to the canal has been stopped, he added.
According to railway authorities, 20 to 25 passengers have been rescued from the canal as a rescue operation by Pakistan Army divers is in progress.
Around 300 passengers are said to be on-board that were travelling on the train which was on its way to Kharian from Pano Aqil when the bridge collapsed.
A relief train from Lahore has been dispatched on the orders of Divisional Superintendent Pakistan Railways, which is carrying medical, mechanical as well as technical staff.
Rescue teams from the army were using cutters and other machines to gain access to the occupants in the compartment, said the report.
The injured passengers have been shifted to military hospital of the city.
The Pakistan army, residents and government rescue teams are taking part in the operation to pull out the people from the canal.
Two helicopters and a crane of the army also have joined in the rescue operation.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has expressed grief over the accident and directed the Punjab government and relief services to provide all resources.
- Shehbaz Sharif, son Hamza released from Lahore jail on parole04:23 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- FM Qureshi discusses Islamophobia, Kashmir situation with OIC ...03:08 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Indian Navy's MiG-29K crashes into Arabian Sea, pilot missing12:32 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- No, Ataullah Esakhailvi is not dead!11:59 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020