LHC forms bench to hear plea against Sharifs conviction in Avenfield reference
Veteran lawyer A.K. Dogar had challenged the conviction in the high-profile case, contending that the National Accountability Bureau’s (NAB) law, under which the sentence was handed down, was no more valid after the implementation of the 18th amendment.
'The three-time prime minister was sentenced under this ‘dead law’ which is illegal,' Dogar argued in the petition and requested to nullify the sentences of Nawaz Sharif, Maryam and Captain (r) Safdar.
The provincial high court has now constituted a three-judge bench comprising Justice Shams Mehmood Mirza, Justice Sajid Mehmood Sethi and Justice Mujahid Mustaqeem which will hear the petition on Wednesday, August 8.
Another blow to Sharifs as Pakistan contacts ... 08:45 AM | 3 Aug, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The Federal Investigation Agency has officially approached International Police (Interpol) for issuance of ...
On July 6, an accountability court had sentenced former prime minister Nawaz Sharif to a total of 10 years in prison besides imposing a £8 million fine (Rs1.3 billion) in the Avenfield corruption reference.
His daughter Maryam was sentenced to seven years in prison with a £2 million fine (Rs335 million), while her husband Capt (retd) Safdar was given a one-year sentence without any fine.
Following the verdict, the former ruling family members returned to Pakistan from London. A petition challenging the decision of the accountability court has also been filed in the Islamabad High Court where Khawaja Haris represents Sharifs.
- US train riders ‘held up phones as woman was raped’, could face ...01:45 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Here’s how Pakistan Navy detected and blocked Indian submarine from ...01:20 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drone flies lungs between two hospitals for transplant patient in ...12:55 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Afghan Taliban start building their own air force12:35 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- T-20 World Cup: Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 17 runs12:13 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021