Pakistani TV channel slapped with Rs1m fine over 'scandalous' programme
The fine imposed on the recommendation of personal hearing committee, would be payable within the next thirty days, says a notification of PEMRA bearing the signatures of Muhammad Tahir General Manager (Operations-Broadcast Media).
In case of non compliance and repeated violations, strict legal action would be initiated against the licensee under PEMRA Act which may result in suspension of license conferred to Geo News.
PEMRA also directed to M/S Independent Media corporation PVT Ltd (Geo News) to constitute an in house Editorial Committee and ensure compliance of PEMRA laws in sift unwarranted content before telecast.
The programme "Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada key Saath" aired on July 18, 2019 discussed the matter of scandalous video targeting NAB Chairman Justice (r) Javed Iqbal, unilaterally without taking point of view from the anti-graft watchdog.
NAB rejects ‘fake and fabricated’ TV ... 12:16 AM | 24 May, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The National Accountability Bureau on Thursday dismissed report aired by a private TV channel containing ...
M/S Independent Media Corporation Limited, Geo News, in its reply and arguments made by its representative during the personal hearing failed to defend the allegations leveled in the show cause notice, hence found guilty of airing one sided story with mala fide intentions.
- Defiant Pakistani journalist Imran Riaz Khan arrested (VIDEO)11:29 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan golfers shine in international event10:47 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Ahmed Ali Butt’s new video with Mahira Khan and Fahad Mustafa wins ...07:10 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Watch – Umair Jaswal drops new song 'Bewafa'06:42 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022