I am not a Muslim leader or spokesperson: Sadiq Khan
In an article in the Guardian, Khan expressed: “I don’t call myself a Muslim politician; I’m not a Muslim spokesperson or leader, and it’s important to clarify that because otherwise you’re defined solely by your faith."
“We all have multiple identities – I’m a Londoner, a son and a father," he further explained.
Related: I’m not a Muslim leader: Sadiq Khan
The 45-year-old Mayor also wished to mitigate the suspicions around religion in the holy month of Ramadan.
"If you are someone who doesn’t have Muslim friends and your only experience of Islam is what you see on the news – the angry man with a beard doing or saying something terrible – then you may inadvertently associate that with Islam and think that is what it’s all about," he said.
He will also be hosting the quintessential Ramazan meals around the city at synagogues, churches and mosques.
Furthermore, he expressed that he is often “miserable” during Ramazan because he has to go to “lots and lots of boring meetings” without coffee.
“But it’s impressive how much your body can and will endure – much more than you realize,” he added.
Sadiq Khan also released a "Ramadan Mubarak" video on his Twitter handle.
- ‘Ghabrana Nahi Hai’ – Kashif Zameer reassures Pakistanis of ...11:49 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan’s NSA rejects claims of back-channel diplomacy with India ...11:17 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Birthday of Islamic caliph Ali Ibn Abi Talib tomorrow10:00 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan to remain on FATF's grey list till June 202109:44 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Ali Xeeshan and wife Myra welcome first baby06:36 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Yasir Hussain opens up about his remarks on Nausheen Shah08:24 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021