Lightning kills 22 in India's Andhra Pradesh
The fatalities occurred Sunday evening when thunderstorms and rain lashed eight districts in Andhra Pradesh, said N. Chandrababu Naidu, the state's chief minister.
Two women's cricket teams had a narrow escape when lightning struck a tree on the grounds where they were playing in Guntur town, said Sitapati, a district cricket official.
"It was a miraculous escape for the players and the people at the grounds," said Sitapati, who goes by one name.
A tree caught fire after it was hit by a lightning bolt, and the deafening sound that followed led players and spectators to flee the grounds in panic, he said.
Lightning strikes are common during India's monsoon season, which runs from June to September. However, Sunday's toll was unusually high.
Weather officials in the Andhra Pradesh state capital of Hyderabad said a low pressure system over the Bay of Bengal led to heavy downpours.
- Taliban replace Afghanistan women's ministry with vice department12:43 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- HRW says India's ruling BJP targeting Modi govt critics12:22 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Police submit challan against Mufti Aziz in student abuse case11:58 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- New Zealand cricket team’s decision leaves Pakistanis in shock and ...11:42 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- British envoy denies role in cancellation of New Zealand cricket ...11:21 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021