Oil prices higher in Asian trade
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for July delivery rose 24 cents to $58.38 while Brent crude for July gained 23 cents to $62.92 in late-morning trade.
The US dollar edged down to 124.44 yen in Asian trade from 124.47 yen in New York well off the 125.56 yen seen on Friday.
A weaker greenback makes dollar-priced oil cheaper for buyers using weaker currencies, boosting demand and pushing global prices higher.
However, Singapore's United Overseas Bank said prices were weighed by "a slump in Chinese demand and worries that OPEC's decision to pump without restraint could prolong the current supply glut".
China released data Tuesday showing inflation eased in May, missing expectations and reigniting worries the country could tip into a deflationary spiral.
The figures came a day after officials said imports plunged last month while exports also fell, the latest indicators pointing to a continued slowdown in the world's top energy consumer.
Daniel Ang, investment analyst at Phillip Futures in Singapore, said dealers will next scrutinise more Chinese data to be released this week. Data on annual retail sales and industrial production will be released on Thursday.
- PPP fails to win PML-Q support for PDM candidates10:30 AM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Contributions of women in all fields deserve our immense respect, ...09:50 AM | 8 Mar, 2021
- TTP commander among 4 terrorists killed in Waziristan IBOs: ISPR09:20 AM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan reports 1,592 new Covid-19 cases, 22 deaths08:23 AM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Shahid Afridi confirms Shaheen's family asked for daughter's hand in ...05:46 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Bigg Boss 14 fame Arshi Khan all set for debut in Bollywood01:10 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Canadian biker girl Rosie Gabrielle ties the knot with Pakistani ...10:16 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021