USCIRF hails Pakistan's step for National Minorities Commission
NEW YORK – The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) Friday welcomed the establishment by the Pakistani government of a National Commission for Minorities, calling it a step in the right direction.
“We are encouraged by the formation of the National Commission for Minorities as a governmental body promoting the rights of religious minorities within Pakistan; it’s an important step in Pakistan’s continuing journey towards the protection of religious freedom,” Anurima Bhargava, one of USCIRF’s eight commissioners, said in a statement.
In 2014, the Supreme Court of Pakistan directed the government to form a commission “to monitor the practical realization of the rights and safeguards provided to the minorities under the Constitution and law.”
“USCIRF encourages the Pakistani government to empower the Commission with the proper authority to meet its intended purpose as defined by the Supreme Court,” Anurima Bhargava added.
PAF gets first Hindu pilot 09:03 PM | 4 May, 2020
LAHORE - Pakistan Air Force, for the first in history, has selected a Hindu as a pilot in the country’s force. ...
Another USCIRF Commissioner, Johnnie Moore, regretted that his March visit to Pakistan along with his fellow commissioner, Anurima Bhargava, had to be postponed because of COVID-19.
“We welcomed the invitation to visit and are grateful that Pakistan has actively engaged with USCIRF on issues of religious freedom, “Commissioner Moore said. “The establishment of the National Commission for Minorities is undoubtedly a step in the right direction, though more steps are certainly required.”
“The prime minister (Imran Khan), and his government, have the ability to move Pakistan forward, if they so choose, and we will look forward to seeing it.”
- Islamabad makes wearing face masks mandatory in all public places12:31 PM | 31 May, 2020
- NDMA activates another two separate hotlines to counter locust, ...11:27 AM | 31 May, 2020
- At least 7 killed, 30 injured after Multan-bound bus overturns near ...10:31 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 69,000 cases of coronavirus – 1,483 confirmed ...10:19 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020