Samjhota Express suspended for the second time
Pakistan Railways made announcement of the suspension of train service today, after it was informed by the Indian authorities of the decision.
Officials from across the borders had informed about suspending the service on Monday citing security concerns due to ongoing farmers’ protests in Indian province of Punjab.
Earlier on Thursday, the Delhi-bound Samjhota Express was returned from Wagah due to same concerns.
The passengers of the train suspended earlier had nothing but to stay at Lahore railway station, hoping to depart for their destination on Monday.
But, now the Pakistan Railways has been making arrangements to carry them to cities where from they reached Lahore, as the date for the restoration of train service has not yet been finalized.
Farmers in Indian Punjab have been demanding compensation for destruction of their cotton crop by whitefly and have initiated a ‘Rail roko‘ campaign, said a leading Indian paper, resulting in cancellation of over 20 trains so far.
- China terms Australia-UK-US alliance ‘extremely irresponsible’, ...11:25 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- ‘Inspiration 4’ – First all-civilian spaceflight launches into ...10:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- UN high commissioner for refugees calls on Pakistan Army chief09:45 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- PM Imran, Iranian President Raisi hold first meeting in Dushanbe09:11 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- FO reacts to US State Secretary Blinken’s remarks about ...08:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Faryal Mehmood’s new bold dance video goes viral05:54 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Nadia Hussain in hot water over controversial statement05:27 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Asim Azhar and Bilal Maqsood jam together on iconic songs05:00 PM | 16 Sep, 2021