Pakistan observes National Minorities Day today
This very day also recognizes the contribution and sacrifices of minorities in the creation of Pakistan and nation-building.
On this occasion, events, seminars and social gatherings are arranged across the country by members of various religious minorities and the ministry of National Harmony.
The Government of Pakistan declared 11 August as National Minority Day in 2009. It has always been the endeavour of the Government to safeguard fundamental rights, safety, security, honour, life, liberty and prosperity of minorities in line with the historic speech of the founder of the nation Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah at the Constituent Assembly on August 11, 1947.
Nonetheless, the National Minorities Day not only expresses gratitude for the contributions, made by these religious communities but also professes that future development of Pakistan hinges crucially on their efforts.
In a message on the occasion, President Dr Arif Alvi says the constitution of Pakistan fully guaranteed equal rights to the minorities as they are an important pillar of the society.
He said a country could not aspire to achieve progress unless its nation had unity in its ranks, the Radio Pakistan reported.
He urged upon the nation to reiterate its resolve for promotion of brotherhood and tolerance in the society without being hostage to any kind of prejudice.
The president said the purpose of observing the day is to highlight the message of Father of the Nation Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who had pronounced equal rights to all citizens of Pakistan.
- Punjab approves Drug Amendment Bill 2020 to counter fake cosmetics ...06:56 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Islamabad police rescue Hungarian diplomats who lost their way in ...06:32 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- 640 new coronavirus cases reported; one death in past 24 hours in ...04:31 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020