Hezbollah man sentenced to life for Lebanese PM Hariri's murder
LEIDSCHENDAM, Netherlands – An international court sentenced a fugitive Hezbollah member on Friday to five life jail terms for the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafic Hariri and 21 other people.
Salim Ayyash, 57, was found guilty in absentia of murder and terrorism on August 18 by the Netherlands-based Special Tribunal for Lebanon over the huge suicide bombing that killed the Sunni billionaire politician and injured 226 others.
Ayyash remains on the run. Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the Hezbollah movement, refusing to hand him over or to recognise the UN-backed court.
"Mr Ayyash participated in an act of terrorism that caused mass murder," chief Judge David Re said as he announced the sentence.
"The trial chamber is satisfied that it should impose the maximum sentence for each of the five crimes of life imprisonment, to be served concurrently."
The court has issued an international arrest warrant for Ayyash for the "extremely grave" crimes.
The UN Security Council agreed in 2007 to establish the court, billed as the world's first international tribunal set up to probe terrorist crimes.
It opened its doors in 2009, although the Hariri trial itself did not formally start until 2014.
The court has cost at least $600 million to operate and has so far heard only four cases, two of them for contempt of court about news reports with information about confidential witnesses.
Ayyash faces a separate case at the tribunal over three other deadly attacks on Lebanese politicians in 2004 and 2005.
- Stage actors Naseem Vicky, Agha Majid escape assassination bid in ...02:27 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan approves $11.6mn to compensate Chinese nationals for Dasu ...01:42 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- vivo Y15s with trendy design, gigantic 5000mAh battery launched in ...01:27 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- EU retains ban on Pakistani flights despite ICAO audit12:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan issues fresh guidelines for mosques amid alarming surge in ...12:27 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Inside the dreamy reception of TikTok stars Kanwal Aftab and ...04:25 PM | 21 Jan, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities condemn tragic Lahore blast04:49 PM | 21 Jan, 2022
- Why did Princess Diana express interest in interfaith marriage and ...07:13 PM | 21 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021