Nawaz Sharif files fresh petition for early hearing of bail plea
The imprisoned politician filed a petition for bail on Monday on medical grounds in the Al-Azizia corruption case, a week after the apex court's registrar office rejected the initial plea for early hearing of his appeal.
In the fresh petition, it is stated that his health has deteriorated, pleading the court to fix the appeal against the Islamabad High Court order in the ongoing week.
Sharif's plea for bail was rejected by the Islamabad High Court on February 25, observing that none of the medical reports about Sharif’s condition suggested that his continued incarceration would in any way be detrimental to his life.
Nawaz Sharif had been hospitalised time and again since January 2019 whenever he made complaints about his indisposition, the court observed in the verdict.
Ex-PM Nawaz Sharif jailed for 7 years in ... 01:58 PM | 24 Dec, 2018
ISLAMABAD – An accountability court in the federal capital sentenced former prime minister Nawaz Sharif to seven ...
“In fact the reports of board of doctors and various teams constituted, are indicative of the fact that petitioner is receiving best possible medical treatment available to any individual in Pakistan,” the judgement had held.
However, the former lawmaker moved the apex court, contending that the IHC order was in violation of his fundamental right to life as guaranteed by Article 9 of the constitution.
The fresh plea comes amid repeated denials by the former premier to be shifted to any hospital for treatment of heart disease despite requests by the Punjab government and his family members.
The elder Sharif was sent to seven years behind bars in the Al-Azizia Steel Mills reference by the accountability court in Islamabad in December last year.
Nawaz Sharif was also convicted in the Avenfiled reference by the accountability court judge Muhammad Bashir, however, he was granted bail by the Islamabad High Court.
PM Imran directs CM Buzdar to ensure every health ... 10:43 AM | 10 Mar, 2019
ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday asked Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar to ensure that every health ...
Sharif’s plea for bail on medical grounds in the Al-Azizia Steel Mills reference conviction was turned down by the Islamabad High Court last month following which he has moved the Supreme Court.
The three-time prime minister has been relocated between Kot Lakhpat Jail and hospital multiple times on the recommendation of the medical board.
He was moved back to the Kot Lakhpat jail from the Jinnah hospital a few weeks ago.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:44 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 28 September 202208:24 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Ali Fazal and Richa Chadha's wedding to see Hollywood celebrities in ...11:51 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Hania Aamir under fire over latest video with makeup artist11:19 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Bushra Ansari faces criticism for receiving anti-aging treatment10:07 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022