Air Marshal Arshad Mahmood Malik appointed PIA chairman
"PIA is in a debt of Rs406 billion," the minister told the media after Prime Minister Imran Khan chaired a meeting of the federal cabinet.
"The new chairman of the national carrier has been directed to "immediately fix the institution's economic condition," he added.
PIA ranked third worst airline of 2018 04:28 PM | 27 Aug, 2018
NEW YORK – The world’s largest travel website AirHelp, which helps travelers to compensate for the delays and ...
The announcement comes a day after Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) placed PIA on its defaulter counter as the airline failed to comply with the bourse’s disclosure law. “Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has failed to hold its annual general meeting and submit its annual audited accounts for the year ended December 31, 2017,” PSX said in a statement.
The decision brought the share value of loss-making flag carrier down a staggering 15.9 percent to close at Rs4.18.
The National Clearing Company of Pakistan also excluded the PIA from the list of eligible securities for trading settlements. PIA has been facing losses for the last couple of years and successive governments tried to sell off the airline to ease the burden on taxpayers’ money used to run its affairs.
PIA’s losses swelled 14 percent to Rs30.563 billion in the nine-month period ended September 2017, according to its financial results. The airline’s revenue showed a little movement during the period under review, as it went up to Rs78.36 billion during the period under review compared to Rs77.54 billion in the comparable period. Around Rs23 billion was spent on fuel purchases to run its operation as against Rs19.685 billion in the corresponding period a year earlier.
According to the Information minister, the national flag-carrier is facing a debt of Rs2 billion every month.
- JS Bank holds medical camps and food distribution in flood affected ...01:32 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- ‘We just have to play with it’: Imran Khan’s audio leak about ...01:03 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan PM Shehbaz, Army Chief felicitates Saudi crown prince on ...11:51 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Petrol price likely to dip by Rs9 per litre from October 111:18 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Anil Kapoor sends birthday wishes to Pakistani fashion designer08:52 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Hrithik Roshan and Saif Ali Khan groove to 'Alcoholiya'11:32 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022