Netherlands resumes visa operations in Pakistan after brief suspension
The Dutch government said in a statement on Friday that its embassy in Pakistan, which is in a tightly guarded “diplomatic enclave”, had temporarily halted issuing visas “due to circumstances beyond our control”.
Pakistani media reported that the embassy had been forced to close because of threats. But the Dutch Foreign Ministry said reports of the embassy’s closure were mistaken.
“The Dutch embassy in Pakistan is open,” the ministry said.
According to the ambassador, Ardi Stoios-Braken, the embassy was temporarily closed for 2 days because of construction work last week.
The Embassy of the #Netherlands in #Pakistan is open. The issuance of visa has been halted temporarily. Last week, the embassy was temporarily closed for 2 days bcs of construction work. In case of questions/comments, please contact the embassy at 051 200 4444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.— Ardi Stoios-Braken (@AStoiosbraken) November 12, 2018
The announcement came days after it was reported that the life of Dutch Ambassador was at risk amid the worsening law and order situation in the country, especially due to the agitation movement launched by the Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) after the Supreme Court acquitted Aasiya Bibi in the blasphemy phase.
Bibi’s lawyer, Saiful Mulook, fled to the Netherlands soon after the verdict, citing death threats. The Dutch government said on Thursday that it had offered him temporary shelter.
Dutch ambassador's life at risk amid growing TLP ... 12:09 AM | 2 Nov, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The life of Dutch Ambassador to Pakistan Ardi Stoios-Braken is at risk amid the worsening law and order ...
According to a notification issued by the Ministry of Interior, there are reports that zealots, with alleged links to the Labbaik, have planned to stage an attack on the Dutch envoy in a bid “to seek revenge for uploading of blasphemous caricatures by Greet Wilders, Dutch parliamentarian, on his personal Twitter account.”
- Happy Birthday Imran Khan: Twitter erupts with wishes as PTI Chief ...10:44 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan Army chief says military officials to stay away from politics09:49 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Maryam jets off to London to meet father Nawaz Sharif09:22 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:44 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 05 October 202208:25 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Yasir Hussain lambasts entertainment industry for not honouring ...10:26 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Dananeer's pictures from US vacation go viral10:47 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Hira Tareen treats fans with beach photos07:43 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022