Interior Minister says inquiry committee to probe Cyril Almeida’s scoop on civil-military meeting
ISLAMABAD - Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Thursday reiterated the government stance that the Dawn’s story on a recent meeting between civil-military top brass is incorrect but stressed that not just a journalist but before inclusion of any Pakistani’s name in the ECL inquiry must be conducted.
During a press conference in Islamabad, the interior minister said that not just Cyril Almeida, senior columnist of Daily Dawn, but two or three other people are also part of the inquiry and will also not be allowed to leave the country.
“The reporter claimed everyone present in the meeting denied the story and questioned why the paper went ahead and carried it. He (the reporter) should have verified the story from other participants in the meeting,” Nisar maintained.
The PML-N minister went on to say that the contents of the story are echoing what our enemies are saying and has given them an opportunity to create a charge sheet against Pakistan.
An inquiry committee has been formed and will look into the matter, he further informed.
During the news conference, the minister also brought a new E-passport system to the knowledge of journalists. Nisar hoped the new system would be operational throughout the country in two years.
The issue of fraud would be drastically decreased with this new passport system, he added.
The first phase of the E-passport system would commence from June next year and the entire upgrade would cost Rs 600-700 million.
According to the minister, some 72 new passport offices would be established each year.
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019