Interior Minister says inquiry committee to probe Cyril Almeida’s scoop on civil-military meeting
ISLAMABAD - Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Thursday reiterated the government stance that the Dawn’s story on a recent meeting between civil-military top brass is incorrect but stressed that not just a journalist but before inclusion of any Pakistani’s name in the ECL inquiry must be conducted.
During a press conference in Islamabad, the interior minister said that not just Cyril Almeida, senior columnist of Daily Dawn, but two or three other people are also part of the inquiry and will also not be allowed to leave the country.
“The reporter claimed everyone present in the meeting denied the story and questioned why the paper went ahead and carried it. He (the reporter) should have verified the story from other participants in the meeting,” Nisar maintained.
The PML-N minister went on to say that the contents of the story are echoing what our enemies are saying and has given them an opportunity to create a charge sheet against Pakistan.
An inquiry committee has been formed and will look into the matter, he further informed.
During the news conference, the minister also brought a new E-passport system to the knowledge of journalists. Nisar hoped the new system would be operational throughout the country in two years.
The issue of fraud would be drastically decreased with this new passport system, he added.
The first phase of the E-passport system would commence from June next year and the entire upgrade would cost Rs 600-700 million.
According to the minister, some 72 new passport offices would be established each year.
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020