Saw a mysterious rise in electricity bills? The Govt was secretly collecting '200 billion' for its own failures
After poor recovery of bills in the previous three years, electricity consumers were secretly burdened with various surcharges of around Rs200 billion during the 2015-16 fiscal period.
These secret taxes were named as tariff rationalisation surcharge (TRC), which include the burden of sector-wise inefficiencies on account of stunted bills and line losses.
Earlier, the consumers were given a subsidy in the name of transmission and distribution losses (TDS) but it was taken off and consumers had to pay for the losses.
Insiders also claim that the money was amassed in order to bail out inefficient power firms in Sindh, Balochistan and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Mainly Gesco,Lesco,Iesco and Fesco customers were affected despite the fact that they fall in areas with minimum power loss and maximum recovery.
The ministry’s written reply in the National Assembly claims the government recovered 89.58% of its power dues in 2013 that increased to 94.54% in 2016 i.e. an increase of 5% or an extra recovery of Rs60 billion. Similarly, the ministry has also claimed of reducing technical losses by more than 1% or an additional collection of Rs15 billion.
On the other hand, experts claim that with the enhanced efficiency as claimed by the power ministry, there is no reason for levying the above-mentioned surcharges.
- MOFA rejects assertions made against Pakistan by ex-Canadian minister12:27 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: Lamont Marcell Jacobs creates history as first ...11:58 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prayer leader arrested for attempt to rape two minor girls in ...11:27 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan to get 3.5mn doses of Chinese COVID vaccines in two days: ...10:49 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- WATCH: COVID SOPs go for a toss at PTI MNA daughter’s big fat ...10:27 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Mustafa Qureshi, wife Rubina Qureshi test positive for coronavirus04:47 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah’s flying kiss video in bold dress goes viral04:21 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Katrina Kaif wins over internet with superb dance moves (VIDEO)02:40 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021