Pakistan strongly condemns attack on Afghan mosque

08:50 PM | 18 Oct, 2019
Pakistan strongly condemns attack on Afghan mosque
Share

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Friday strongly condemned the attack on a mosque in Nangarhar province of Afghanistan , which has resulted in the loss of a large number of lives and injuries to scores of others.

"We share the grief of the bereaved families and offer our deepest sympathies and condolences over their loss in this mindless act of terrorism . Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their loved ones in this difficult time," said a press release issued by the Foreign Office.

It adds, "Pakistan condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and stands in solidarity with the government and people of Afghanistan in their fight against terrorism ".

Earlier today, at least 65 people were killed and dozens wounded in an attack on an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, officials said, a day after the United Nations said violence in the country had reached “unacceptable” levels.

The explosion took place in Haska Mina district of eastern Nangarhar province, and wounded at least 40 people, provincial police spokesman Mubarez Attal told AFP.

The dead were “all worshipers”, he said.

Blast in Afghan mosque kills 62: officials 05:12 PM | 18 Oct, 2019

JALALABAD - At least 62 people were killed and dozens wounded in a blast inside an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, ...

Other officials gave higher tolls, with provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani saying at least 20 had been killed.

A doctor at a hospital in Haska Mina told AFP that “around” 32 bodies had been brought in, along with 50 wounded.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Both the Taliban and the Daesh group are active in Nangarhar province.

The blast came after the United Nations released a new report on Thursday saying that an “unprecedented” number of civilians were killed or wounded in Afghanistan from July to September.

Civilians have long borne the brunt of violence in Afghanistan´s conflict, and the UN called the casualties “totally unacceptable”.

The UN laid the blame mainly at the feet of anti-government elements such as Daesh and the Taliban, though it also documented an alarming rise in casualties caused by pro-government forces.