Pakistan strongly condemns attack on Afghan mosque
"We share the grief of the bereaved families and offer our deepest sympathies and condolences over their loss in this mindless act of terrorism. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their loved ones in this difficult time," said a press release issued by the Foreign Office.
Earlier today, at least 65 people were killed and dozens wounded in an attack on an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, officials said, a day after the United Nations said violence in the country had reached “unacceptable” levels.
The explosion took place in Haska Mina district of eastern Nangarhar province, and wounded at least 40 people, provincial police spokesman Mubarez Attal told AFP.
The dead were “all worshipers”, he said.
Other officials gave higher tolls, with provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani saying at least 20 had been killed.
A doctor at a hospital in Haska Mina told AFP that “around” 32 bodies had been brought in, along with 50 wounded.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Both the Taliban and the Daesh group are active in Nangarhar province.
The blast came after the United Nations released a new report on Thursday saying that an “unprecedented” number of civilians were killed or wounded in Afghanistan from July to September.
Civilians have long borne the brunt of violence in Afghanistan´s conflict, and the UN called the casualties “totally unacceptable”.
The UN laid the blame mainly at the feet of anti-government elements such as Daesh and the Taliban, though it also documented an alarming rise in casualties caused by pro-government forces.
- Pakistan strongly condemns anti-Islam Facebook post by Indian ...10:07 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Hafeez quarantined in England for taking photo with 90-year-old lady ...09:10 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Afghanistan thanks Pakistan Army chief for supporting reconciliation ...07:57 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan Railways changes routes of some Karachi-bound trains07:37 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020