Pakistan strongly condemns attack on Afghan mosque
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Friday strongly condemned the attack on a mosque in Nangarhar province of Afghanistan , which has resulted in the loss of a large number of lives and injuries to scores of others.
"We share the grief of the bereaved families and offer our deepest sympathies and condolences over their loss in this mindless act of terrorism . Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their loved ones in this difficult time," said a press release issued by the Foreign Office.
Earlier today, at least 65 people were killed and dozens wounded in an attack on an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, officials said, a day after the United Nations said violence in the country had reached “unacceptable” levels.
The explosion took place in Haska Mina district of eastern Nangarhar province, and wounded at least 40 people, provincial police spokesman Mubarez Attal told AFP.
The dead were “all worshipers”, he said.
Blast in Afghan mosque kills 62: officials 05:12 PM | 18 Oct, 2019
JALALABAD - At least 62 people were killed and dozens wounded in a blast inside an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, ...
Other officials gave higher tolls, with provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani saying at least 20 had been killed.
A doctor at a hospital in Haska Mina told AFP that “around” 32 bodies had been brought in, along with 50 wounded.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Both the Taliban and the Daesh group are active in Nangarhar province.
The blast came after the United Nations released a new report on Thursday saying that an “unprecedented” number of civilians were killed or wounded in Afghanistan from July to September.
Civilians have long borne the brunt of violence in Afghanistan´s conflict, and the UN called the casualties “totally unacceptable”.
The UN laid the blame mainly at the feet of anti-government elements such as Daesh and the Taliban, though it also documented an alarming rise in casualties caused by pro-government forces.
- Senators express concern over wheat shortage, price hike10:40 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan Army airlifts 22 LUMS students trapped in Gilgit snow08:02 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Govt allows duty-free import of wheat to tackle crisis07:35 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- PSL 2020 tickets to go up for sale tonight07:08 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Tourism industry sets to take off after govt embraces digitization07:06 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Hira Mani thanks fans for showering her with love01:38 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Fahad Mustafa lauds Humayun Saeed for his acting in MPTH01:24 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- Sarmad Khoosat considers withdrawing Zindagi Tamasha after hundreds ...01:01 PM | 20 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019