SC-mandated JIT concludes probe into fake accounts case
The contents of the report have not been made public, however, sources claim that the report comprises some 7500 pages and is 'damaging' for Pakistan Peoples Party co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari and his sister Faryal Talpur.
The apex court had formed a JIT in September to probe the money laundering case involving Rs35 billion funneled through fake bank accounts at three local banks; according to Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), the amount exceeds Rs 100 billion.
Sources privy to the developments reveal that the JIT interrogated 97 people, including Asif Ali Zardari, Faryal Talpur, Anwar Majeed, his son and former Summit Bank president, Hussain Lawai.
During the course of investigations, the JIT had also summoned PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari twice but he didn’t appear before the investigators and instead submitted his reply to the JIT through his lawyers.
The JIT also added the statements of the approvers in its report and sources claim that as many as 30 bankers have been named in the report. The team also utilized Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) in its widespread probe.
Govt mulls filing disqualification reference ... 09:22 PM | 19 Dec, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government is mulling to file a disqualification reference against Pakistan ...
Veteran journalist Hamid Mir disclosed in a TV show that the JIT report also targeted Bilawal Bhutto besides Asif Ali Zardari.
The apex court would resume hearing into the case on December 24th - a day set for the accountability court in Islamabad to announce the verdict on two graft references filed against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif.
Investigations so far have revealed that several ‘benami’ accounts were opened in 2013, 2014 and 2015 at some private banks from where transactions worth billions of rupees were made in a fictitious manner.
The amount, according to FIA sources, is said to be black money gathered from various kickbacks, commissions and bribes.
- PM Imran congratulates newly-elected Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi10:12 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 — Islamabad United and Multan Sultans to fight it out ...08:18 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Matric students to prepare board exams through Exam Prep Master ...05:49 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Madhuri Dixit and Jaaved Jaaferi set the stage on fire with killer ...05:00 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas lands in hot waters after latest photoshoot04:06 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021