Funeral prayers for famed writer Munnu Bhai offered in Lahore
Muneer Ahmed Qureshi, known as Munnu Bhai, died at the age of 84 earlier today. His funeral prayers were offered in Rewaz Garden, Lahore.
People from all walks of life, including intellectuals, politicians, educators, attended the funeral prayers. The writer of famous PTV drama, Sona Chandi, will be laid to rest in Miani Saab cemetery.
He took his last breath at a private hospital, where he had been shifted after he suffered from the chest infection and kidney ailment in December.
Munnu Bhai, who also wrote several popular TV serials, earlier suffered brain hemorrhage in September 2017.
Funeral prayers for the deceased writer were offered at his residence in Rewaz Garden, Lahore after Asar prayer.
Born in 1993 and hailed from Wazirabad, Munnu Bhai started his career by working as a translator for an Urdu language newspaper but eventually developed into a playwright and a dramatist.
Appreciating his performance, he has been awarded Pride of Performance Award by the President of Pakistan in 2007 for his services to the nation.
President Mamnoon Hussain has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the sad demise of the renowned journalist, columnist, poet and writer.
Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa condoled with the family of the famed writer. He said that Munnu Bhai's services for Urdu literature will always be remembered.
Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chief also expressed sadness over loss of "another progressive voice of integrity & sanity".
So sad to hear Munnu Bhai has passed away. Pakistan loses another progressive voice of integrity & sanity. pic.twitter.com/wMEGD6lZMS— BilawalBhuttoZardari (@BBhuttoZardari) January 19, 2018
Heartfelt condolence to the family and followers of Munnu Bhai. We have surely lost a gem today. A thorough gentleman - he will live on through his writings amongst all of us.— Sardar Ayaz Sadiq (@AyazSadiq122) January 19, 2018
There are some people in your life, you don't ever imagine they can go. Munnu Bhai was one of them. Can't believe he's not there on his favourite couch, with his three-legged walking stick. Love you Munnu Bhai. RIP. pic.twitter.com/6TjcINzOZ0— Marvi Sirmed (@marvisirmed) January 19, 2018
#MunnuBhai no more with us. Sad moment for Urdu literature— Ahsan Rizvi (@AhsanAbbasShah) January 19, 2018
- Pakistan Army ranked among world’s top 10 strongest militaries08:09 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Eight missing as strong winds knock over two fishing boats near Thatta07:40 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Honda increases car prices by up to Rs126,00006:51 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Ali Zafar rocks the stage at Dubai Expo 202006:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Usman Mukhtar opens up about his equation with Naimal Khawar05:25 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021