Congress condemns “illegal” arrest of Priyanka Gandhi in northern India
NEW DELHI – The Yogi Adityanath government in the northern Uttar Pradesh state Friday detained Indian National Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra when she was on her way to a village where 10 people were killed in a shootout this week over a land dispute.
After meeting the victims, she was scheduled to go to Sonbhadra but Priyanka, 47, was stopped in Mirazapur, following which she staged sat on the road and protested until she was taken away in a government car to a guest house.
"I want to peacefully meet the family members of the victims who had fallen to the bullets in the clash. I want to see the orders under which I have been stopped to meet them," Priyanka Gandhi was quoted by India Today as saying.
Her brother and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi said the arrest was an arbitrary use of power by the Yogi Adityanath government.
The illegal arrest of Priyanka in Sonbhadra, UP, is disturbing. This arbitrary application of power, to prevent her from meeting families of the 10 Adivasi farmers brutally gunned down for refusing to vacate their own land, reveals the BJP Govt’s increasing insecurity in UP. pic.twitter.com/D1rty8KJVq— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) July 19, 2019
Terming the arrest illegal and disturbing, Rahul Gandhi tweeted, "The illegal arrest of Priyanka in Sonbhadra, UP, is disturbing. This arbitrary application of power, to prevent her from meeting families of the 10 Adivasi farmers brutally gunned down for refusing to vacate their own land, reveals the BJP Govt’s increasing insecurity in UP."
Ten people were killed and 28 injured on Wednesday when they resisted an attempt by the village headman and his supporters to take possession of 90 bighas of disputed land in Sonbhadra district's Ghorawal area.
- Jake Paul deletes Tweet about Zayn Malik after getting dissed by ...08:03 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Chuno Apna Raasta – Airlift embodies its promise at the workplace05:59 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- AIOU declares results of BS programs semester autumn 201905:25 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Gold prices reach Rs96,300 per tola in Pakistan04:36 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- On Sridevi's 2nd death anniversary, Janhvi Kapoor shares throwback ...02:28 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Local authorities close Venice Carnival early on virus fears: report12:52 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019