Supreme Court "will intervene if rights not protected", issues notice to Nawaz Sharif
Notices were also issued to Maryam Nawaz, Hasan Nawaz, Hussain Nawaz, Capt (R) Safdar, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, director general Federal Investigation Agency, chairman Federal Board of Revenue, and the attorney general in the Panama papers case.
A three-judge SC bench, consisting of Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, Justice Ijazul Ahsan and Justice Khilji Arif Hussain, had taken up the petitions seeking disqualification of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. The hearing was adjourned for two weeks.
CJ Pakistan Anwar Zaheer Jamali during the hearing reportedly remarked that the court would not indulge in any political issue. Justice Khilji Arif while reflecting the threats responded that no one could press and threat the Supre Court for favourable decision.
Following the hearing, PTI chief Imran Khan talked to newsmen and vowed to bring "king" Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif under law. He said the court hearing was the first step in the accountability process.
He requested the SC for speedy trial of the case. He added that they have already been waiting to get the justice for more than three years. "Justice delayed is justice denied," he asserted.
"We hope that the case's proceedings will reveal details of several issues that were concealed from the nation." he said.
He regretted that "the parliament did not play its role" but expressed satisfaction that the SC did.
The PTI chief said that protest is the party's constitutional right. "Our protest is against the prime minister and all corrupt institutions", Dawn News reported.
It is our legal right to protest and to knock the doors of judiciary, he said adding that the PTI was using both of its rights.
- PSL 2021, Match 10 – Peshawar Zalmi chase Islamabad United's ...08:59 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Snow leopard rescued after falling from cliff in Chitral08:29 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Saudi Arabia, Pakistan to promote cooperation in Customs, Tax fields08:00 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- 'Chaar Darkht' – Ali Gul Pir trolls India in #FantasticTeaDay video05:14 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Agha Ali advises Alizeh Shah to be more concerned about her acting ...03:45 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021