Pakistan opens first public school for transgender persons in Lodhran
Dr Shahbaz Gill also shared a video from the classroom of first government-run facility for transgender students on Twitter.
Transgender school established in lodhran city under Literacy department. Under Usman buzdar's leadership Punjab will grow and prosper inshallah. pic.twitter.com/zgadhWW5B6— Dr. Shahbaz GiLL (@SHABAZGIL) February 20, 2019
A huge milestone has been achieved in granting transgender their rights in the country through Pakistan’s first ever transgender school.Named The Gender Guardian, the school offers a full 12 years of academic education from primary level to matriculation & leading up to college. pic.twitter.com/n5Y9wDHHRi— Government of Pakistan (@GovtofPakistan) April 19, 2018
The brainchild of non-governmental organisation Exploring Future Foundation (EFF) also offers vocational training focusing on fashion, beauty as well as graphic design.
“We will be providing skill-based training and curriculum to the transgender community that has enrolled with us,” said EFF managing director Moizzah Tariq.
There is no age limit for admission in The Gender Guardian, located in Lahore’s Defence Housing Authority (DHA).
With an aim to provide 12 years of academic education (from primary level to higher secondary level), the Foundation plans to open two more schools for transgender community in Karachi and Islamabad soon.
Pakistan adopts transgender persons’ ... 06:11 PM | 8 May, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The lower house of Pakistan’s parliament approved the protection of rights of transgender persons and the ...
Access to education is the right of every person but unfortunately transgender people face discrimination in Pakistan and many struggle to find employment. Some are forced into begging, dancing or prostitution to earn money.
However, official sources from social welfare department said that Lahore and its adjoining areas had a population of roughly 30,000 transgender people.
The country’s Senate had unanimously approved a bill on March 7, 2018 for the protection of rights of transgender people, empowering them to determine their own gender identity.
Also last year, a Pakistani news channel hired the country's first transgender TV newsreader.
Pakistan's first transgender newscaster Marvia ... 01:53 PM | 24 Mar, 2018
LAHORE - A local news channel Kohenoor TV has hired a transgender newscaster in Pakistan. This would be the first time ...
Marvia Malik, a journalism graduate who has also worked as a model, said she was moved to tears when she was offered the job. She anchored her first show on private broadcaster Kohenoor on Pakistan's Day (March 23rd), after three months of training.
- Submarine cable cuts disrupt internet services in Pakistan09:59 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Pakistan beat Iran to clinch Central Asian Volleyball Champions 202209:52 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Pakistani govt increases fee for trophy hunting permit to $25,00008:55 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Congratulations pour in for new Army Chief General Asim Munir08:00 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- PITB, IT industry and academia join hands to launch Digital Hunar 2.0 ...07:27 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Merub Ali and Asim Azhar's cute interaction wins over internet07:01 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- TikTok star Hareem Shah’s new dance video in bridal dress goes ...07:24 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Viral dance girl’s new pictures set internet on fire04:51 PM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022