Pakistani porter jailed for stealing candies from airport luggage in UAE
The defendant opened an unidentified number of bags and stole different kinds of sweets and candies, Gulf News quoted court records as saying.
An airport policeman said the porter was spotted opening bags and was apprehended for questioning.
“When asked if he had opened passengers’ bags, he confessed that he opened a number of bags and took candy or sweets and ate them instantly.
“He claimed that he only took candy which he ate but never stole any valuables or personal belongings,” the policeman said.
A policeman testified that the man was spotted on surveillance camera footage opening passengers’ luggage and stealing from them.
The porter admitted to prosecutors that he unzipped passengers’ bags several times looking for candy while transporting bags to the aircraft.
Presiding judge Urfan Omar on Thursday convicted the defendant and handed him a three-month suspended jail term on grounds of leniency.
The accused, who pleaded not guilty, will be deported.
The ruling remains subject to appeal within 15 days, the report added.
- Indian cricket chief invites PCB head Ramiz Raja to IPL final07:50 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- UK lawmaker David Amess stabbed to death in his own constituency07:23 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Ban on new domestic gas connections imposed across Pakistan06:43 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Punjab launches crackdown against sugar mills’ owners06:27 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Russia to host Pakistan, China and US for crucial Afghanistan talks ...06:06 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat expresses love for Jennifer Lopez04:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Alizeh Shah's gorgeous bridal shoot wins hearts03:27 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Man creates Guinness World Record for balancing 735 eggs on a hat03:50 PM | 15 Oct, 2021