PML-N out of Senate elections race after SC verdict
However, the PML-N senators can contest elections independently.
A statement issued by the ECP on the matter, clarified that the Senate elections will be held as per schedule, i.e. March 3.
The ECP decision follows the dismissal of ruling PMLN’s petition pertaining to issuance of new tickets.
ECP removes Nawaz Sharif's name as party president 11:04 PM | 21 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) removed former disqualified Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's name as ...
Earlier today, PMLN issued new party tickets to candidates for the upcoming Senate elections. The tickets were awarded by party’s Chairman Raja Zafar-ul-Haq.
Raja Zafar-ul-Haq along with other party leaders visited the ECP office and submitted papers of party candidates for the Senate elections.
Later, talking to the media, Raja said the party chairman or president has the discretion to issue party tickets. Consultations were underway to fill the position of party president, he added.
Election Act 2017 case: Supreme Court ... 05:56 PM | 21 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar on Wednesday ruled that ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif ...
The party had to issue new tickets following the Supreme Court’s ruling in the Elections Act 2017 case on Wednesday after which Nawaz Sharif was disqualified as the party head.
According to the notification issued by the ECP in this regard, in order to ensure a timely and smooth democratic transition in the Upper House of the Parliament, four options were considered.
The postponement of Senate elections, holding of elections without PML-N candidates, giving the candidates affected by the court order time to come up with new party affiliations, and to treat the PML-N nominees as independent candidates, were all discussed, reports suggest.
The ECP decided to treat the PML-N nominees as independent candidates in order to conduct the elections on time, rejecting the other three options.
The move is aimed towards protecting the rights of other candidates by providing a fair playing field to all those contesting the election, the ECP notification reads.
- Pakistan administers over 1 million COVID vaccines in a day12:48 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Sindh govt to bear medical expenses of Liaquat Ali Khan’s ailing son11:58 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat faces police complaint over lashing out at traffic cop ...10:55 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Turkey imposes 10-day mandatory quarantine for travellers from ...10:14 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Falak takes Sarah on shopping spree (VIDEO)09:00 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021