Careem warns 14 million customers after massive data breach
The ride-hailing company Monday stated that sensitive information like customers' names, email addresses, phone numbers and trip history data were stolen by hackers.
Dear Customers, we have identified a cyber incident that took place in January 2018 involving unauthorized access to the system we use to store data. Our wider security protocol keep passwords encrypted and credit card details on a separate system. pic.twitter.com/rkcpf671ct— Careem (@careem) April 23, 2018
The company has urged drivers and customers to update their passwords, look out for any unsolicited communication, avoid clicking links or downloading attachments from unfamiliar emails and review bank account statements for any suspicious activity.
However, according to the company, the users’ credit card information remains safe.
"Careem has identified a cyber-incident involving unauthorized access to the system we use to store data. While we have seen no evidence of fraud or misuse related to this incident, it is our responsibility to be open and honest with you, and to reaffirm our commitment to protecting your privacy and data," the ride-hailing service said in an email to customers.
The breach affects all customers and captains who signed up for the service before January 14, 2018. Users who signed up for the service after that date have not been affected, Careem said.
Careem has operations in 13 countries and in over 90 cities.
- OIC resolution calls upon Israel to stop rights violations, terrorism ...09:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- PIA plane carrying 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine lands in ...08:49 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- US forces leave key Afghanistan military base05:22 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021