Operation at Islamabad’s Faizabad interchange sparks protests across Pakistan
KARACHI - Protests erupted on Saturday soon after Islamabad police, with the help of Frontier Constabulary personnel and other law enforcement agencies, launched a crackdown against protesters camped out at the Faizabad Interchange since November 8.
The crackdown was launched after the last of a long series of deadlines lapsed on Saturday morning without response from the agitating parties.
Roughly 8,500 elite police and paramilitary troops in riot gear are taking part in the clearance operation, which was launched soon after the final deadline of 7am given to protesters expired.
Protesters have also started gathering at key points across the country including Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Mirpur Azad Kashmir, Tando Allahyar, Jacobabad, Chakwal, Sabrial, Faisalabad Gujranwala, and Lahore.
— Farhan K Virk (@FarhanKVirk) November 25, 2017
Cop dies, over 190 injured amid Faizabad ... 08:39 AM | 25 Nov, 2017
ISLAMABAD - One of the officials of Islamabad police taking part in Faizabad operation to disperse the protesters ...
In the Sindh capital, protesters who had been staging a sit-in at the Numaish Chowrangi since morning shut down all the leading roads in the area and forcefully closed all the shops. Meanwhile, protests have also sprung up in various other parts of the city.
Geo News reports protests are taking place near Jillani Centre near Tower, on Hasan Square, at Star Gate as well as in Sohrab Goth. Unconfirmed reports have suggested protests are also taking place near Al Asif Square and that protestors have severed the main road link between Karachi and Hyderabad.
— Dr. Aliya Kareem (@DrAliya7) November 25, 2017
Meanwhile, a video shared on Twitter shows announcements are being made in local mosques of Rawalpindi for people to reach Faizabad interchange.
Mall Road, Lahore also blocked, all shops shut down after lawyers rally in favour of Islamabad sit-in @pid_gov @GovtOfPunjab @CMShehbaz @pmln_org @PTIofficial @MediaCellPPP #FaizabadDharna live pic.twitter.com/jkMZXCtI0d— The Nation (@The_Nation) November 25, 2017
Earlier today, a policeman was martyred and several others injured as clashes with protesters turned violent after an operation to clear Faizabad interchange commenced early Saturday morning.
Dozens of protesters have been detained as they continue to resist and throw stones at security officials. Over a hundred have been reported injured due to the clashes, including dozens of policemen and FC officials.
Protesters have blocked Bhara Kahu leading to Murree, and also set fire to two vehicles at Faizabad Chowk.
- Masoumeh Ebtekar: Iran's vice president infected by coronavirus11:54 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Hadi Khosrowshahi: Iran's ex-ambassador to Vatican dies of coronavirus11:47 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pakistan's Aviation division establishes emergency ...11:36 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan, Qatar agree to further enhance economic cooperation11:19 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pink Floyd: PM Imran tweets Roger Waters’ video criticising ...11:10 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- TikTok is cancer, says Feroze Khan03:05 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Celebrities speak out against the brutal treatment of Muslims in Delhi02:41 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- ‘Ehd-e-Wafa’ makers planning to air finale in cinemas02:15 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019