Pakistani peacekeepers rescue thousands in Congo's flood hit areas
RAWALPINDI – Pakistani Peacekeepers have rescued more than 2,000 people stranded due to heavy floods in UVIRA region of South Kivu in Democratic Republic of CONGO (DRC).
According to Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), torrential floods erupted in Uvira and surroundings in DRC starting last week which continued for days. Rains and flooding damaged thousands of houses and affecting some 75000 people.
Pakistani Blue Helmets, part of UN Mission in Congo (MONUSCO), immediately rushed to the affected areas for rescue and relief of local Congolese Populace.
Rescue parties were immediately dispatched with paramedics and rescue equipment to different locations.
Pakistani Peacekeepers rescued more than 2000 people stranded due to heavy floods in Uvira region in Democratic Republic of CONGO (DRC). Torrential floods erupted in Uvira region starting last week. Rains and flooding damaged thousands of houses affecting 75,000 people. (1/4) pic.twitter.com/n5fQfvuL3i— DG ISPR (@OfficialDGISPR) April 26, 2020
Troops also built a stone embankment to check the flood water, which was strong enough to shift people and vehicles from affected area.
The stranded people were served with food and provided necessary medical care.
Pakistani Peacekeepers' rescue efforts have been widely acknowledged by locals as well UN authorities.
Being one of the largest troops contributing country, Pakistan has more than 4000 blue helmets serving under UN for maintaining peace and stability. As many as 157 Pakistani peacekeepers have laid their lives during various UN missions for preservation of global peace, while serving humanity with honour, courage and dignity.
- EU extends Pakistan GSP Plus status till 2022: Senate told06:47 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan’s ex-health minister tests positive for coronavirus06:42 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- The curious case of cigarette prices in Pakistan05:32 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Funeral of Saudi Prince Saud bin Abdullah today in Riyadh04:38 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Ertugrul actor Ezgi Esma wants to visit Pakistan and have chai01:57 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Making a hairstyle like Ariana Grande doesn’t mean I’m copying ...01:23 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meera claims she’s writing her autobiography01:19 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020