Growing Culture of Open Mics and Poetry Slams in Lahore
With the recent “Date Night” musical comedy play staged in Lahore to the Lahore Music Meet in the recent past, the inhabitants of the city are being provided with opportunities for entertainment other than spending an exorbitant amount of cash on mediocre lavishly marketed food.
Being in the audience of a number of open mics, stand up comedies and the like it dawned upon me how desperately our people need sources of cathartic release from quotidian schedules, how pertinent it is to be able to get out of the house and share a good laugh with a bunch of strangers.
As a budding psychologist, I see it as a form of group therapy. Many bookstores now host open mics where story sharing is always enlightening and educative to realities. In other dimensions it’s a great window for unacknowledged young talent to sprout, for angsty individuals to release stress and for anyone who attends to widen their dating pool being in the company of like-minded individuals.
It is not uncommon to observe a tacky ambiance in most cafes and restaurants of the city when one wants to get out of the house and celebrate. It is also not uncommon for such an ambiance to induce self-consciousness on the other party and create an aura of tawdry exhibitionism but these literary events have somehow managed to have people with an inclination for appreciating aesthetic.
It is hoped that such events continue to lighten up the inhabitants of the city. Cheers.
- Pakistanis above 30 asked to get vaccinated as soon as possible11:29 PM | 16 May, 2021
- India reports 4,077 new Covid deaths as UP police try to keep sacred ...10:47 PM | 16 May, 2021
- OIC resolution calls upon Israel to stop rights violations, terrorism ...09:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- PIA plane carrying 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine lands in ...08:49 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021