Fuel shortage paralyses Lahore amid road closures
According to media reports, around 60 percent of the fuel stations dried out in Lahore due to the reason that the tankers carrying oil were stranded near Sheikhupura, Wazirabad, Karachi and Gujranwala due to roads closure caused by protests.
Commuters heading to and from different cities are also facing hardships as the religious groups had blocked the roads as a show of support for Tehreek-e-Labbaik members who had staged a sit-in at the Faizabad interchange from last three weeks.
As the Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz led federal government signed an agreement with the protesters, the leader of TLP, Khadim Hussain Rizvi announced calling off the strike on Monday (today).
After the announcement, the spokesperson of Oil Tankers Association confirmed that the fuel supply would be restored from Karachi and other cities.
The protesters at the Faizabad interchange assembled against the amendment in the Khatam e Nabuuwat clause in the recently passed Election Act 2017.
For over three weeks, the thoroughfare of the city remain blocked, however, with the operation launched by the local administration on Saturday, protests erupted across Pakistan with the demonstrators blocking main highways connecting different cities of Punjab.
The agreement, which marked the end of protests was brokered by a senior officer of Pak Army Major General Faiz Hameed and it bound the law Minister Zahid Hamid to tender resignation, which he formally did.
- Zong and Growtech connect for the most-advanced business solution and ...02:37 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Punjab University makes entry test mandatory for admission in BS ...02:15 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Seven family members go missing after car swept away by flood in Sindh11:32 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Watch: Coke Studio hit 'Pasoori' gets African fusion in latest teaser10:10 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Maria B lauds Lahore school for removing trans activist Dr Mehrub ...09:56 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Meera shares 'words of wisdom' with fans09:06 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022