Rare 14.93-carat Pink diamond sold for over $32 million in Hong Kong
The 14.93-carat pink gemstone went to an unidentified phone bidder as applause filled the room.
Auctioneers Christie’s said it was the second highest price per carat paid for a pink diamond, next to the five-carat “Vivid Pink” which sold in Hong Kong for $10.78 million in 2009.
However, the diamond failed to sell at the higher end of the auction house’s estimates of up to $42 million.
“It’s a very, very strong price,” François Curiel, Christie’s Europe and Asia chairman, told the international media after the sale. “It really shows that Hong Kong is a very important centre for jewellery today.”
An ongoing anti-corruption drive in mainland China has done little to dent feverish bidding in Hong Kong’s auction houses.
A 1,000-year-old bowl from China’s Song Dynasty was sold for $37.7 million in the city last month, breaking the record for Chinese ceramics.
Earlier this year a giant diamond named the “Pink Star” broke the world record for a gemstone sold at auction when it fetched $71.2 million at Sotheby’s.
- India invites Pakistan, other regional powers for NSA-level talks on ...09:00 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- World’s largest copy of Quran being made in Pakistan07:52 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- First PIA flight to Oman’s Salalah airport receives water cannon ...07:05 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Momal Sheikh leaves fans awestruck with latest pictures03:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021