Rare 14.93-carat Pink diamond sold for over $32 million in Hong Kong
The 14.93-carat pink gemstone went to an unidentified phone bidder as applause filled the room.
Auctioneers Christie’s said it was the second highest price per carat paid for a pink diamond, next to the five-carat “Vivid Pink” which sold in Hong Kong for $10.78 million in 2009.
However, the diamond failed to sell at the higher end of the auction house’s estimates of up to $42 million.
“It’s a very, very strong price,” François Curiel, Christie’s Europe and Asia chairman, told the international media after the sale. “It really shows that Hong Kong is a very important centre for jewellery today.”
An ongoing anti-corruption drive in mainland China has done little to dent feverish bidding in Hong Kong’s auction houses.
A 1,000-year-old bowl from China’s Song Dynasty was sold for $37.7 million in the city last month, breaking the record for Chinese ceramics.
Earlier this year a giant diamond named the “Pink Star” broke the world record for a gemstone sold at auction when it fetched $71.2 million at Sotheby’s.
- Pakistan’s Babar Masih outclasses India’s Ishpreet Singh at ...01:44 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- A New SUV is Being Tested on the Roads of Pakistan01:35 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Australia’s tour of Pakistan after 23 years in doubt following NZ ...01:04 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Karachi man arrested for raping, abducting eight-year-old neighbour ...12:16 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- PIA to operate chartered flights to UK after Pakistan taken off ...11:48 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021