VIDEO: Filipino president oversees destruction of $5.5m luxury cars, bikes in anti-corruption drive
The President, wearing a white hard-hat, cheered on the bulldozers as they crushed the contraband vehicles in Sta Ana, Cagayan, in the northern Philippines.
Pres. Duterte witnesses the condemnation and public destruction of contraband luxury vehicles and motorbikes at Port Irene in Sta. Ana, Cagayan on July 30, 2018. #TatakNgPagbabago pic.twitter.com/QIDv4Eh2q0— Presidential Communications Operations Office (@pcoogov) July 31, 2018
The 68 cars, which included Lamborghinis, Mustangs and Porsches, and eight motorcycles destroyed by the government on Monday, were reportedly worth a total of 298million Piso ($5.5million).
Since his election in 2016, President Duterte has been vocal about his fight against corruption, while justifying his brutal war on drugs, purging of journalists and mass dismissal of government officials. The President has also said that the destruction of smuggled cars was necessary to show the world that the Philippines have a viable place of investment and business.
- PM Imran Khan to address nation today03:06 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- FM Qureshi arrives in Abu Dhabi, expected to meet his UAE counterpart02:59 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- AirBlue surprises passengers with huge cut in domestic flight fares02:32 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Marry, divorce, remarry’ – Man weds same woman four times for ...02:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman welcomes baby boy01:46 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hiba Bukhari wins hearts by reciting Naat07:23 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021