Al-Azizia reference verdict challenged in IHC
The counsel for Nawaz Khawaja Haris filed the applications in IHC for suspension of the sentence as the accountability court had awarded seven years imprisonment along with fine of Rs1.5 billion and US$ 25 million in the Al-Azizia corruption reference.
The former prime minister was sent to Kot Lakhpat jail after the accountability court verdict . The applicant has requested the IHC for declaring the accountability court verdict null and void and also sought bail in the case.
The applicant has stated in the application that the accountability court decision was an incorrect interpretation of the law as well as the verdict failed to cater to the objections raised by the accused.
The petition will be heard by a two-member bench of the high court. It is pertinent to mention here that an accountability court had convicted the former prime minister, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Captain (r) Safdar in Avenfield reference and sentenced them to 10, seven and one year of rigorous imprisonment which was later suspended by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) after observing that the accountability courts’ verdict was based on “prima facie, tentative opinion”. It found NAB to have failed to prove the corruption charges.
- WHO asks int’l community to remain calm on outbreak of coronavirus ...10:31 AM | 29 Jan, 2020
- UNHCR appreciates Pakistan for hosting millions of Afghan refugees09:18 AM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Huawei allowed to play limited role in building UK's 5G network10:27 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan ex-skipper Sarfraz Ahmed blessed with baby girl09:04 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Why Miley Cyrus missed the 2020 Grammy Awards?03:58 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Rabi Pirzada performs Umrah03:38 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Ayeza Khan says she wanted to redefine the role of a 'heroine' ...03:25 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019