Al-Azizia reference verdict challenged in IHC
The counsel for Nawaz Khawaja Haris filed the applications in IHC for suspension of the sentence as the accountability court had awarded seven years imprisonment along with fine of Rs1.5 billion and US$ 25 million in the Al-Azizia corruption reference.
The former prime minister was sent to Kot Lakhpat jail after the accountability court verdict. The applicant has requested the IHC for declaring the accountability court verdict null and void and also sought bail in the case.
The applicant has stated in the application that the accountability court decision was an incorrect interpretation of the law as well as the verdict failed to cater to the objections raised by the accused.
The petition will be heard by a two-member bench of the high court. It is pertinent to mention here that an accountability court had convicted the former prime minister, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Captain (r) Safdar in Avenfield reference and sentenced them to 10, seven and one year of rigorous imprisonment which was later suspended by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) after observing that the accountability courts’ verdict was based on “prima facie, tentative opinion”. It found NAB to have failed to prove the corruption charges.
- Two terrorists killed in Balochistan operation: ISPR11:22 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan sharply rejects India’s ‘irresponsible remarks’ about ...10:35 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Faisalabad locals find unexploded bomb might have been dropped during ...10:24 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Coronavirus — Pakistan PM Imran seeks more debt relief from G-20 ...09:07 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston reveals that she almost quit Hollywood04:48 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- The Boys – A massive Amazon hit all set to have a spin-off04:19 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Ahad Raza Mir turns 27, receives heartwarming birthday wishes from ...03:57 PM | 29 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020