Pakistan pays $28 million after NAB loses case in UK
LONDON – Pakistan has paid more than $28.706 million (Rs4.59 billion) to a British assets recovery company after the London High Court found the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) guilty of breaching a contract.
The hefty amount was transferred from the Pakistan High Commission (PHC) on behalf of NAB to Broadsheet LLC after a long litigation. The firm was hired around 17 years ago to detect alleged foreign assets of dozens of Pakistanis which it failed to trace any, Geo News reported.
On December 17, the London High Court’s Financial Division had directed Pakistan to ensure payment of the amount to the NAB’s former client Broadsheet by 30th.
The Pakistani anti-graft buster had hired Broadsheet during former president Pervez Musharraf’s government in 2003 to trace assets in the UK and USA of more than 200 Pakistanis Benazir Bhutto, Asif Ali Zardari and Nawaz Sharif.
The British firm had moved the court against NAB after the anti-graft watchdog broke its contract in violation of the terms and conditions.
The media outlet citing sources said that Pakistan has left no option except complying with the orders as it has exhausted all legal options. Lawyer representing Pakistan had also advised against challenging the verdict.
NAB arrests PML-N bigwig Khawaja Asif 08:02 PM | 29 Dec, 2020
LAHORE – National Accountability Bureau has arrested Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz stalwart Khawaja Asif ...
- Bilawal visits Hamza and Chaudhary Brothers in Lahore07:06 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Bigg Boss 14 fame Arshi Khan all set for debut in Bollywood01:10 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Canadian biker girl Rosie Gabrielle ties the knot with Pakistani ...10:16 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021