2013 polls rigging: Judicial Commission summons Sethi, 12 others on May 6
These 13 people, including Najam Sethi, the former interim chief minister for Punjab, journalist Hamid Mir, former secretary Javed Iqbal, and former MNA Nabeel Gabol, have been summoned on application lodged by the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf.
The judicial commission had earlier presented a questionnaire to the political parties asking them to submit responses on alleged poll rigging by April 29.
The commission, led by Chief Justice of Pakistan Nasirul Mulk, had said the terms and conditions for the commission were clear, but the replies of most political parties were not in accordance with the terms of references.
The questionnaire asked whether the 2013 elections were carried out in an impartial manner. It directed parties to submit supporting material and present eye-witnesses in the event of a no.
The questionnaire also inquired whether or not the elections were manipulated in a ‘systematic’ manner and to identity those who may have designed and planned it.
In relation to the systematic procedure, the questionnaire further asked whether rigging was carried out in national constituencies, or both national and provincial. It also asked if alleged rigging was carried out in a certain province or all the four provinces.
The questionnaire will enable political parties to answer the commission's questions regarding electoral rigging clearly. The commission also asked political parties to submit material and name witnesses to support their allegations and responses in the questionnaire.
The commission was formed earlier this month, following the Ordinance issued by President Mamnoon Hussain to proceed with the formation of a judicial commission which would investigate allegations of poll rigging, a demand made by PTI during the party's 126-day-long sit-in in Islamabad last year.
According to a signed agreement, the judicial commission will investigate the matter preferably within 45 days of its making.
- T20 World Cup: Bangladesh and Oman lock horns in must-win game today12:32 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran, President Alvi extend felicitations to Muslims on Eid ...11:57 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Eid Milad-un-Nabi: Mobile phone services partially suspended in parts ...11:33 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Defamation suit: ARY UK apologises to Ishaq Dar over ‘fabricated’ ...11:04 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Iran invites Pakistan to multilateral conference on Afghanistan10:36 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021