Model Town massacre: Justice Najafi inquiry report points fingers at CM, Rana Sanaullah & Punjab Police
The Model Town inquiry tribunal report has blamed the government of Punjab, particularly Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif and Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah as well as the provincial police for the 2014 incident in which 14 supporters of the Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) were killed.
Justice Baqir Najfi commission, while terming the June 2014 tragedy in Lahore's Model Town as the "most unfortunate incident" in the country's history also said that police tried to cover up the facts regarding who gave orders to open fire on protesters, according to the commission report.
The inquiry tribunal, headed by Justice Ali Baqai Najafi of the Lahore High Court, had submitted the 132-page report in the same year but the Punjab government did not make it public.
The full report can also be viewed here:
The decision to make the report public was announced by the provincial law minister Rana Sanaullah, who while addressing a press conference expressed that the Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif ordered making the report public.
‘According to the report, I am blamed for ordering the removal of barricades outside the Model Town incident’ said the minister and added that the report which was uploaded on the website of Directorate General Public Relations, could not be presented as a testimony.
'Ineffective' Baqar Najafi report on Model Town ... 05:07 PM | 5 Dec, 2017
LAHORE - Punjab's Law Minister Rana Sanaullah claimed on Tuesday that the Baqar Najafi judicial commission report ...
He went on and said that the workers of Pakistan Awami Tehreek which were branded as ‘oppressed’ by Dr. Tahir ul Qadri were actually assembled to attack the police officials.
The minister continued that the court had directed the government to make the report public within a span of 30 days but hastened to add that no government official was blamed for the killings in the report.
He also clarified that the Punjab government would not challenge the verdict given by the Lahore High Court.
- PCB celebrates Babar Azam’s birthday in style (VIDEO)10:59 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Aqeel, Bilal, Amna win double crowns in Sapphire Open National Tennis10:40 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Cooking oil prices increased by up to Rs110 per litre in utility ...10:22 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Momal Sheikh leaves fans awestruck with latest pictures03:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021