Indian astrologer hoists Pakistan flag to protest taxes, booked for sedition
After running from pillar to post for eight long years to get his civic taxes fixed, Chandrapal Singh (36) from Sisamau area of Kanpur district unfurled the Pakistan flag on his terrace as part of his protest against the government and district administration.
Instead, the self-proclaimed 'jyotishacharya' (astrologer) was arrested for promoting 'enmity in society' and sent to jail.
The accused, who has been booked under sedition charges, complained of excessive house, electricity and water bills and was fed up of making rounds at the offices of authorities concerned who were not paying any heed to his complaints, the Indian Express reported.
As he hoisted the flag on Thursday, the local residents alerted the police who arrested Chandrapal in the night and booked him under various sections, including 153 (a) of IPC.
Chandrapal was found responsible for "promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race or residence, besides, it's also illegal to hoist the flag of another country," said police.
"Chandrapal has admitted to hoisting Pakistani flag. A case under Section 153 (a) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered against him while the flag has been seized," circle officer Seesamau Brahmanand Yadav told TOI.
“The accused claimed that he wanted to attract the government and administration toward him so that he can share his plight with them. He had issues related to house, water and power bills,” the police officer added.
- UAE extends deadline of $2bn loan repayment for Pakistan12:13 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani origin young innovator named in Forbes' 30 Under 30 list11:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Teenage boy 'gang-raped', filmed by six in Punjab’s Pakpattan11:14 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Over 100 clerics of banned TLP placed on fourth schedule10:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-20-Updated ...09:56 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021