IHC rejects petition seeking ban on Nawaz Sharif’s speeches
ISLAMABAD – The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday turned down a petition seeking ban on live telecast of speeches made by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Quaid Nawaz Sharif.
Chief Justice Athar Minallah issued the order, declaring the petition inadmissible.
The chief justice asked the petitioner to approach the right forum, adding: ‘Is any law of Pemra exist?”
He said that a parliament is also there and why you want to involve the court in matters political in nature.
Earlier this month, Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) had imposed ban on airing speech of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif after the latter lashed out at the Imran Khan-led government and establishment in his fiery speeches.
The PML-N supremo is following an aggressive approach against the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government after his first address from London, where he is staying for his treatment, to opposition’s multi parties conference (MPC).
The authority announced the ban while taking action on the request made by a citizen Mohammad Azhar Siddiq, who is also lawyer by profession, local media reported.
It said in the order that giving coverage to a fugitive on TV channels is violation of Pemra Act 2007, adding that it is also violation of a Supreme Court ruling issued in 2018.
Pemra further warned that legation action will be taken against the media outlet if it is found involved in airing speech of the PML-N leader.
- Army Chief reiterates to enhance combat readiness to withstand ...11:49 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- No plan to impose governor rule in Sindh, says Imran Ismail10:50 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- ‘Samsung AI Forum 2020’ explores future of Artificial ...10:04 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Bank AL Habib declares Rs13.13 billion profit after tax09:48 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Woman gang-raped for ten days after lured to higher labour wages in ...09:36 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- 'Parwaz Hai Junoon' to commercially release in China in November01:36 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Maya Ali and Emmad Irfani to star in Shoaib Mansoor's upcoming film12:37 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Usman Mukhtar's ‘Bench’ screened at Cannes International ...12:07 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran and CM Buzdar irked over CCPO leaked call controversy02:51 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Twitter showed Jammu and Kashmir as part of China01:47 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- No, there is no 'Civil War' in Karachi; Indian fake news on Pakistan ...01:07 PM | 22 Oct, 2020
- Shehbaz Sharif 'be provided mattress, chair and home cooked food in ...11:59 AM | 22 Oct, 2020