Nigerian atheist gets 24-year jail term for blasphemous Facebook post
KANO, Nigeria – A court in Nigeria sentenced an atheist citizen to 24 years in imprisonment in a blasphemy case in the Muslim-majority state of Kano.
Mubarak Bala, who is an outspoken critic of religion, was given the punishment for sharing a blasphemous post about Islam on Facebook in 2020.
Authorities arrested Bala, who is also head of the Humanist Association of Nigeria, two years ago from his home in Kaduna state after considering his post an insult to Islam.
The Kano High Court announced the verdict after Bala pleaded guilty to the blasphemy charges, saying he did so of his own free will, Arab News reported.
His lawyer expressed concerns over the ruling, saying it can also be challenged.
Islamophobia has taken 'most lethal form' in ... 11:20 AM | 11 Feb, 2022
WASHINGTON – Renowned scholar Noam Chomsky has said that Islamophobia has taken a “most lethal form” ...
- Hamza Shahbaz case: PTI to challenge LHC verdict in Supreme Court07:20 PM | 30 Jun, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022